Friday, November 26, 2010

The Fire Is Still Inside These Pots


Cary Joseph, anagama fired bowl, Ithaca, NY ©




Cary Joseph, anagama fired mixing bowl set, Ithaca, NY ©

Cary Joseph, anagama fired mixing bowl set, Ithaca, NY ©


Cary Joseph, anagama fired bowl, Ithaca, NY ©

When I first showed these images to Aurora, her comment was that the pots looked like the fire was still inside them. I couldn't have said it better myself.

It is always a treat to photography great pots. This week has been a bonus week for me. I have been ruminating on a new lighting setup since March.... yeah... quite a while. I didn't own the lights I wanted to use until after June, and things have been too busy to just go play.

But play is necessary. I spent the better part of Monday trying out lighting ratios and proportions and angles of light. Always trying to throw the light where I wanted it. Until I had the real objects in hand, it was all just practice... academic really. Once the pots were in the studio, it was go-time. Time to put rubber to the road. Since then I have been playing with more tiny variables than I can count. Trying to figure out exactly how to get minor nuances to just sing out.

Cary Joseph is a potter
here in Ithaca whose work is a stark contrast to most of the local pottery. His surfaces are primarily decorated by the fire and woodash flowing through the anagama kiln he fires with a group of other potters at Corning Community College. His other body of high temperature stoneware is glazed in rich carbon trapping shino glazes that are oftentimes iridescent and glittery.

I am honored to have been asked to capture the radiant glow of these woodfired pots of Cary's. If you get a hankering for one of these gorgeous pots, you can catch Cary Joseph at the Ithaca Fine Craft Show at the Museum of the Earth next month. Better still, call and make an appointment to visit his studio to see lots more pots! You can also visit Cary in his studio during the Ithaca Art Trail open studio event in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment