Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Came Early - new Nikon SB-700 Speedlight









Yessir, Santa said I was a good boy this year. Today the UPS man showed up in his sleigh and handed me a cute little box from B&H Photo... filled with my spiffy new Nikon SB-700 speedlight. As fate would have it, I had just finished charging up two sets of rechargeable batteries. This afternoon and evening, between dinner prep, dinner and the evening movie, I have managed to give this little flash a quick once over. Off camera it is 100x easier to work with than any flash from Nikon I have ever used. (Then again, my experience prior to this speedlight is limited to the SB-600 which is downright paleolithic compared to this modern beastie!)



I will save my full review for a few more days till I have had a chance to really put this flash through its paces. For now, I think it is safe to say, I WANT MORE of them! I can see having at least three more of these in my kit bag. If you want one of these flashes, I would plan on ordering them soon because they seem to keep running out of them and backorders take a little while to fill. Ken Rockwell seems to think very little of this flash... all more's the pity. I love it. Then again, I love playing with light, in just about any form! Thankfully, I don't buy stuff based solely on Ken's reviews of stuff. Now we'll have to see how this flash holds up over time. Tomorrow we take it outside to see how it compares against my older flashes.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've been drooling over the 700 since the Strobist (p)review. Being a Canon guy and thus denied CLS it doesn't make too much sense for me to have one, but I love love love the idea of a relatively inexpensive workhorse flash that integrates seamlessly with the rest of the system. I could use more seamless these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to get you (and me) some pocket wizards. Some of their new accessories make it so much easier to dial your flashes up or down, broken up into zones and more cool stuff... I really want some. But for the price...ugh. So that was why I bought the sb-700. I knew that it would work straight out of the box. I knew it could do high speed sync, and I knew it HAD to be easier to program than the sb-600 which is like working on a pre-DOS computer. I also love, but haven't tried, the SU-4 feature, which is nikon's way of slaving their strobes. The sb-600 didn't have the feature, so I am constantly trying to figure out a way to take one BIG strobe, like my Alien Bees 5000, and mix that up with 1-3 of the smaller speedlights. Without some combination of radio/wireless trigger, I am up a creek. Been playing with this idea for about a month, and haven't found a competent solution yet... one that's consistent and sweet. Hopefully this flash will play well with others!

    ReplyDelete