Monday, January 10, 2011

More Time Shooting in the Studio Tonight

Can't remember who made this at Alfred, ca 1995

I like it when the weekend ends and I feel like I have actually accomplished something. For much of the past week, I have had my head in my hands, trying to deal with this massive headcold. Nothing knocks me down worse than a simple cold. Straight from a sore throat to a sinus infection, skipping all the fun steps along the way! Now, I'm on the mend and can finally tilt my head down from the horizontal plane again without fear of passing out.

I can't get over the amount of color this copper
saturated glaze created during the salt firing!


Tonight when we got home from dinner at a friend's house, I had just enough energy to get myself back into the studio for some more work on our pottery collection. This "teaching collection" has been such fun to uncover. At some point it might make sense to turn some of it into a book format.. who knows?


Mark Lambert, woodfired paddle bottle, USU, 1999

Teabowl of mine from USU, 1999

This is one of the teabowls I made during the last year I was in grad school. Most of my time was spent making those monstrous platters with the rich deep bizarre glazes, but I still found time to make a handful of functional pots. Everything was thrown with a nice white stoneware clay, fired to cone 10 in gas reduction. Simple saturated slips under a white fake ash, high calcium glaze. I have had a few folks ask why if the fake ash glaze is white, why does it show up as tan or off-white. There is an overlap at the rim with the tenmoku, and the iron from that gets pulled into the high calcium glaze's rivulets. Keeps the glaze from looking anemic.


Cut and reshaped teabowl from NYSCC at Alfred, 1995

4 comments:

  1. Love your teabowl from USU with the blue! I received a copy of Robin Hopper's Ceramic Spectrum for Christmas and saw one of your glaze tectonics platters in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there Brian,
    If you look at the beginning of each chapter of Hopper's book, and you notice those small thumbnails of glaze details, many of those are mine. Probably at least 1 in 4. I think you are one of the first people to notice that platter in Robin's book. Thanks! I like the company that platter is keeping on that page. Great potters all'round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was no mistaking the platter, that's for sure. Hadn't made the connection to the thumbnails, but that's a little less obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again Brian. I need to figure out a way to market these big platters. They need to be shown off and I no longer have a good venue for them. I dont think the web alone can do it. Originally I thought that either Helen Drutt or Leslie Ferrin would be keen to show them. Neither one has shown any interest. Needs to be someone who can move LARGE objects (with accompanying high prices). Suggestions? Ideas?

    ReplyDelete