Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Forecast Calls For Pain


Nine days of rain are forecast. In theory, it should be raining right now for that to hold true. So far the precipitation has held off, which means most of the yard is mowed. Here I am, working at the computer when I should be outside mowing more of the yard. Taking a break now and then is a good thing, right? While I am catching a breather, I figured it would be a good time to post my favorite shots from the past few days of glorious sunshine.




A friend of ours gave us this katsura tree about two years ago. The colors are exceedingly interesting, throughout the season, but what intrigues me the most: the cotton candy smell of the leaves as they dry in the Autumn. How on Earth is this possible?




A few years ago, we went to a woman's home to pick up some plants she had offered on Craigslist as she was thinning out her garden. If I remember correctly, she had a huge bed of lemon lilies that she was dividing. Our surprise was that in there, almost like weeds, were a very small but very showy version of bleeding hearts. Almost fern-like foliage, they are the nicest surprise to find every spring now.



No comments:

Post a Comment