Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fun Times at the Fair


Earlier this week, I joined Aurora and her friend as they went to the State Fair. Having never been to the New York State Fair, during the fair... I was unsure what to expect. I had been there numerous times for things like the Ski Swap or for a holiday craft show that was pretty heinous.

Everyone talks about the State Fair with a certain level of awe, so I was curious to see what the hype was. Suffice it to say, it was a hoot! From the giant albino dog turds masquerading as soft-serv ice cream vendors, to the fried-food-only booths... it was a blast. We saw smoked turkey legs, cannoli in every sport imaginable, deep fried Oreos, and the best... Creamy Lobster Mac and Cheese. Ewwww. The only truly regrettable food I saw being served was Shark-on-a-stick. I draw the line there. Sharks are a top predator... not some farmed food like chicken. Just seems wrong to eat sharks.






This was a new ride that I've never seen before. Not quite as insane as true hang-gliding, but from the response I got from the girls, it was a rush! They had to go on it a few times.


Of course, we had to visit the Dairy Hall... and it was impressive. An 800# butter sculpture of people cooking with butter. Seemed wild. Then we found the cheese carving. The sculptor was working a 20-30# block of cheddar with clay tools. Aurora and I were talking about what it would be like to trim a 30# block of cheddar into a nice bowl.... FUN! The last thing we had to try while we were in the Dairy Hall was the gelato. Wonderful stuff. Took the edge off the midday heat. All in all, a day spent at the Fair is certainly worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment