Saturday, December 17, 2011

Panorama of Destruction


It is hard to convey the sheer power of the devastation of our front yard over the past week. We went from having a row of beautiful ancient pines, to having a debris field. Now, most of the debris has been cleaned up. Instead we have a mountain of woodchips and sawdust. The tree trunks have been cut to a level height in anticipation of next Spring's construction of a new rose arbor. The woodchips will form the basis for our new bed's mulch. In between now and next Spring, I will comfort myself with the images of Lee's roses (der Rosenmeister nursery!) climbing up and over our rose arbor. I can't wait to see what's possible!

4 comments:

  1. heartbreaking, but all things change even trees. We have lost several due to a variety of reasons and each one was mourned. Then comes clean up and new growth. It has been interested to watch and interested to have new life come in- I will wait for your sweet roses...they will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meredith! We may never have the same wall of shade in the summer, but the light that pours into our house now that it is winter is a welcome change! Made me realize that the walls in our living room are pink. Always assumed they were white. Even with lights in our living room, it was dark even on the brightest days. Now, it is so warm and cheerful. Quite a radical change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always something bright to something dark.....I live in the woods and when we added a kitchen we added a room that gets light- I could live there since most of the house is very dark.
    It is a wonder how sunshine can really made your life feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunlight is so different from artificial light. I dont miss the non-stop fluorescent glow from the lights in the studio... but deprive me of the windows in my living room and I start to go batty. We have had tons of rain up here since September. Haven't had 4 sunny days in a row. So much grey that the sun has much more value, especially heading into winter.

    ReplyDelete