Saturday, June 9, 2012

Falling in Love


How do you describe the process of falling in love? I didn't want to fall in love with roses. I am not prone to spending copious time in the garden dealing with pests or pruning, which I always assumed went hand in hand with roses. Meeting Lee converted me to the idea of tough, hardy, gorgeous roses that can hold their own in our climate, easily shrugging off weather that decimates lesser plants. 

This year, I fell in love. 

I didn't expect it to happen. It started with seeing the perfect bud. Each morning I went outside to watch it swell and darken... slowly transitioning from pale green till it started to blush ever so slightly pink. Then yesterday it was nearly crimson... waiting to begin to unfurl. When I woke up this morning all I wanted was to see the night's progress. The color knocked me over. Rich saturated pink fading to white inside. Yeah, I'm in love. Smitten, bitten and I am doomed.




No comments:

Post a Comment