Monday, July 2, 2012

Nearly Ten Weeks Out


With nearly two and a half months behind my surgery, I am feeling better with each passing day. I meet more and more people who have had similar bariatric surgeries... and no matter what complications they may have experienced, I have yet to meet one who would take their surgery back and go back to their life before surgery. I have to say I agree too. This has been an almost magical experience.

Today I went swimming with my family at a party hosted by our friends. It cracked me up that for the first time in almost 2.5 yrs someone asked me what was up with my stomach. I have lost so much weight now, that my herniated ostomy is so prevalent. The protuberance really projects from my waist/belly. Everything above it has shrunk dramatically and it really does look odd. Having a rash-guard shirt over the top of my hernia/ostomy belt didnt make it any less odd. Trying to explain what the appliance was and how it would soon be removed was an interesting discussion. It was all the more interesting because I have had so few of these conversations over the past two and a half years.

Bit by bit, my shame over my appearance, my life and my experience are starting to slip away.

2 comments:

  1. can't recall the last time I saw a "smiling" photo of you. Makes my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been quite a few smiling portraits since surgery. Can't say enough about how amazing it has been to see 55# come off this year. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like with another 50# gone.

    ReplyDelete