Monday, August 6, 2012

Reflections on Reflections


Every now and then, Nancy and I head out the doors with our cameras for a photo-safari. In the past year, we've gone less often than in the year's past. This weekend, we had our first "date night" in a while. After taking a dip in the lake, cooling off with a little ice cream, we headed home through Trumansburg.

As we drove past our local grocery store parking lot, we were shocked to see it full... only realizing moments later that it was a hometown classic car show. We zipped home, traded our swimsuits for camera gear and headed back. There were cars of so many vintages! Trucks too. Such great curves! Luscious paint and sparkly chrome. 

I wanted to try something different from my normal shooting behavior. In general, I tend to grab my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, snap it on and shoot. This lens is such a go-to lens that it almost makes shooting a guarantee. There is virtually no risk at getting a lousy shot. 

I wanted to try something new. 

I had been toying with the idea of finding a fast prime lens, preferably in the wide-angle range since that was where I felt like I had less experience. I put my kit lens (18-55mm) on my body, set it at 18mm, and shot the whole time with my feet taking care of the zooming. 

What I learned is that I really love the wide angle for showing off the vast expanses of color and the wide open curves that these old cars possess. The distortion is lovely! So... now the question is what prime lens do I start saving for? Any suggestions? 





No comments:

Post a Comment