Friday, October 12, 2012

When and If


I have not been posting images with great frequency this month. I apologize for my absence. I wish I could say it is due to us being on vacation or being too busy with work for clients. The real reason probably has to do with the time of year and my memories of the trauma that cycle through every year at this time. 

The good news is that I landed a fascinating assignment... photographing the restoration process of the When and If. In the words of the fine woodworker/ship builder, Captain Dennis Montgomery: 
The When and If was designed and built for then Col. George Patton later the General. This is the latest project to come to Cayuga Wooden Boatworks Inc. for restoration work. We will do some work this year and some next year. We will be posting more photos on the progress as we continue to work on her this season and next so friends spread the word about this and the other interesting and historic projects at CWBW. 
Aurora and I met with Dennis this past Monday, on a perfect Fall day. For three hours, we milled about, trying to figure out what angles would be best to capture this sailboat as it left the waters of Cayuga Lake to begin its restoration process. In the end, it was out of the water so quickly! From there it was driven, suspended from huge straps, to its resting place where the real work will take place. 

Check out Capt. Dennis Montgomery's Facebook page for the Cayuga Wooden Boatworks, and follow along as I keep posting updates about this whole restoration process over the next few months. 
http://www.facebook.com/CayugaWoodenBoatworks




5 comments:

  1. Great photos and great project, love this, I'll be happy to follow along and see the progress. My Gary is always trying to talk me into getting a boat and living on it. Maybe I should oblige him, now where would I put the kiln. might have to use others kilns, that might work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I think living on a boat is such a massive departure from "regular" life, that you wouldn't even think about clay. I know, that sounds impossible. I think there is something primal about being on the water, that fulfills that same part in our soul that clay fills.... and I don't really know how else to describe it. Sailing is one of the few times in my life where I didn't wish I were somewhere else doing something different. I was totally content to be right there... and that was all. Can't wait to be sailing again someday (maybe soon?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alex,

    I suck at this social networking thing but maybe you'll get this. ((I still like 'antique e mail")
    We have something in common "When and If". Dennis wants me to write about her.
    Also the next time you are in Fair Haven look up schooner Sara B. If she has a crew around she would be happy to take you out for a sail. She is a miniature beer budget version of the Hazlitt boats (his first one that did charters was about her size).
    She has a facebook page but I don't know how to send it to you. find it at www.sarab.brownroad.com
    by the way feel free to use e mail you can send it to me via Sara B's website
    I'll probably be bugging you for some pics of When and If at some point

    ps I have a blog too here's the url http://edge-walker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love reading about your adventures with the Sara B. Amazing! Email is always the easiest way to reach me. info@alexsollaphotography.com
      Would really enjoy picking your brain whenever you have time. So much I need to learn... so many questions. Thanks for checking in on the blog.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete