Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How We See Things



In the past three days, I have managed to get my butt back on the bike saddle for the first time since the coma. On one hand it feels terrible. It hurts, my legs ache, my lungs ache... and last night I got flying bugs in my eyes. On the other hand it feels great. It reminds me of what I used to love doing. The going is slow... really slow right now, but I have to remember, I didn't start out riding 20-50 miles a day. It takes a while to build back up to that. For now, I am having to see things differently. I am trying to not blame myself for the slowness of my recovery. I am trying not to expect everything to miraculously be better, just because my surgeon was able to rebuild my plumbing. There is a lot of healing still to do... but feeling this progress has been amazing! I am hoping to find time tomorrow to go down to the lake and do a little swimming. UPS delivered my waterproof bandages so I dont have to worry about my wound in the lake. Swimming in the sunshine, here I come!

And for anyone curious about these images... there is nothing "photoshopped" about them... this is not a filter. The effect is created with a 6" glass prism, held in front of my lens. Kinda fun stuff to play with. We'll see what tomorrow holds....  maybe more experimentation? (gotta deal with business stuff first,... then play!)

4 comments:

  1. the thing is- you are here, you are healing and you are riding.
    These, that seem so small, are really gigantic when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very true Meredith. It is shocking to me, how close to NOT being here I was. Even still, through all the survivor guilt stuff, all the PTSD, I still struggle to imagine that I almost wasn't here. Those thin threads that keep us here are remarkable.

      Delete
  2. Miracle boy ... it's all good, at any speed. The fact that you're breathing is miracle enough.The fact you can do all of this already, is amazingly mind boggling! When I started riding again I took it a block at a time, a mile at a time and built on it. I know what's it like to go from sedentary to mildly mobile and want to leap to long distance speed racer, pronto ... but it all takes time. And you get to have more milestones each time you push an inch, yard, block and beyond. With any luck maybe we can take a ride together, if and when I come up. I do have bike racks & like to ride. Keep up the progress, you're doing so well ... I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Joe. I really need it today. After Monday's night's dinner I experienced/am experiencing an intestinal blockage. Talk about painful. Feels like I am being stabbed. Talked to the surgeon yesterday. He wanted me to go to the ER if the pain increased, I started vomiting or if I developed a fever. A trip to the ER means Xrays and then slicing and dicing. NO WAY! I want this stuff to stay together! I am just starting to get it all put back together!!

      So far, clears and soft foods are helping on day 2 of the blockage. Another couple days and we'll see how things progress. Thank you for being so encouraging Joe. Hopefully I will be back on the bike this week!

      Delete