Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Difference Between a Capture and a Creation

edited in Nik Analog Efex and LR5
Some might argue that a photographer has to get everything right in-camera otherwise they aren't "real" photographers. Others seem to think that every image needs to be massaged and coerced in Photoshop until it looks like a dayglow black velvet Elvis painting.

I tend to look at my original images and try to find things that I want to draw out of the image. In many cases, working in a black and white format helps me to see the tonal ranges and textures with greater ease. In an image like this, that weathered barn wood just craves being touched. I wanted to make that the dominant feeling in the image. As I looked through the other images during this session, the details were more compelling (for the most part) but they said nothing about the emptiness of this old barn. When I came back to this shot, it had such a concise plea of emptiness. Even though this barn is still in use, the neglect is obvious. It is past its prime. I'd like to think that the finished image gives some integrity to the old barn in its last few years.

original jpg of the barn, no editing

2 comments:

  1. a huge barn indeed, I wonder if the cows were down in the bottom, hay above? Funny, the b and w is so moody and pensive you wonder where the ghost is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also love the peeling away of layers.....
    Pretty raw when you see the last of the clapboard skin hanging on.....
    Really striking image .....

    ReplyDelete