Thursday, March 6, 2014

What Have I Been Up To?


Winter brings a level of hibernation that at first seems cozy, but after nearly four months of snow cover begins to feel like a cross between lethargy and freezer burn. I have tried to find ways to inspire myself this long winter. Photographs of spring flowers just dont cut it when it has been weeks since there's been any sign of a blue sky. Imagining a Caribbean vacation is nice, but unrealistic. What's a guy to do?

I decided to work on my website. Yeah, I know... not terribly romantic. The frustrating reality is that I would much rather be out photographing icy landscapes than sitting indoors, plugging away at the code for this new website. In fact, I prefer almost anything to having to do website work... so much so that the last update I made on my website was over a year ago. It was overdue for a major revision.  So much of my current focus is on portraiture and yet the old website just had pictures of puppies. Hmmm. Not very representative. It also lacked a means for people to contact me. Not very professional.

I would like to think that the revision is looking good. I am still struggling with a few minor issues which have not been released onto the live website yet. Hoping to wrap up those loose ends this weekend. In the meantime, if you find things you aren't happy with on my new website, please let me know. I am always curious to hear how things work for others.

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts: http://alexsollaphotography.com/

2 comments:

  1. This is becoming a true expression of the life around you.
    You have such a good eye for capturing more that just a picture. You make me want more.
    The website will grow and expand as your work does, I hope.
    I had a little trouble with pictures down loading and needed to figure things out a bit, but I think it looks like it will work well and show your talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith. Load time is a serious issue for me right now. The designer of this wordpress template suggests really enormous sizes in order to take advantage of the "retina" screens on ipads and macbooks. I guess my concern is how slow does it load on phones? I figure that probably half, if not more, of my clients will find me at least once on their phone.

      So.... I may shrink the images down a little, which means that folks viewing the images on a 27" monitor will just have a smaller image... but I think it will make a bigger difference with load time. Hopefully reducing image dimensions will have a bigger effect on loading than reducing quality of the image. We'll see. More ideas to test. Thanks for the feedback Meredith!

      Delete