Monday, November 24, 2014

Feeling Lost


It isn't often that I will admit to feeling lost. That certainly doesn't mean I don't feel lost... but actually admitting that I am feeling is lost... that takes some doing. Tonight I feel lost.

Reading about the grand jury's decision in Ferguson makes me wonder if we can ever really look at the divisions in this country with any level of honest inquiry. I feel lost when I look at the massive amount of hate and vitriol that people are spilling over with... so much fear and anger and mistrust. Our fear of other... our fear of what someone else might be or might do... is pathological.

I could go on. I have a lot I want to say about police violence, about fear of Islam, about racism, about class issues, about violence in general. Not tonight. For tonight it is enough for me to feel lost and to just sit with that feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Us vs. Them seems to have gotten worse in my lifetime. On the surface we seem to be a more "tolerant" society, but we're always talking about the LGTB or the Urban Poor or Latino. I saw them building a whole wing for "Women's Health" recently at Florida Hospital and wondered how we would take it if they built a wing for "Men's Health" or "Latino Health", etc. We smile while we build walls between ourselves. Oh well. I guess as long as the media plugs into the web to gauge public opinion and then comes down on that side of the issue, it won't be long before we can discard the legal institutions we built to resolve disputes, and go back to public stoning. Ask Bill Cosby.

    ReplyDelete