Sunday, April 5, 2015

Wrapping Up


Over the next few weeks, Nancy and I will make another visit to Roosevelt Island to hang the images for the bedroom and a digital picture frame. You would think that at this point in the project we would be old hands at this. Nope. The next stage is going to require some interesting logistical solutions. Very excited to see how we pull the bedroom together!

Here are a few images of the finished prints, hung in place in the apartment. 


This is the entryway/hall into the bedroom. As you exit the master bathroom, this is what you see. These are metal prints, made on aluminum. I wasn't sure I would like the frame-less approach, but after seeing the first three metal prints last month, I am sold! I love the depth of color that this process can provide.


This is the wall which I was shooting the laser level at in the last blog post. Imagine: each print requires two nails to hook onto the floating block on the back of the print. So in order to hang this arrangement, we had to find the exact spot for all 8 nails before being able to drive the first one. Makes hanging frames from a single nail seem seriously easy. I think companies who use this sort of hanging device should include a nailing template. A sheet of paper exactly the size of the print, with the mounting holes marked out... that way you can lay it out without having to split fractions of an inch at 1am while the apartment was finally dark enough to see the laser markings on the wall.


This is the guest bathroom. The image was made from the southern part of Roosevelt Island. I had just purchased a series of Neutral Density filters (ND) and was trying to capture motion blur from the sky and the water while the sun set behind me, over the Manhattan skyline. By the time I had started figuring out exposure times and settings, the light was very nearly gone from the sky. I think at the time this was taken, my exposure was close to two minutes. Luckily the Fuji XT1 has the ability to be triggered by my iPhone, so I could have it set up securely on a tripod, open the shutter and control the exposure manually. It is hard to imagine that to my eyes, it was totally dark at this time. There was zero color in the sky. But leaving the camera open for that long let in the most marvelous hues! Definitely something I want to spent more time exploring this Spring.





No comments:

Post a Comment