Saturday, July 4, 2015

Summer Sunset


Summer sunsets can be dramatic or boring as can be. So much depends on cloud cover and the amount of moisture in the air. My favorite images are usually taken immediately after a storm has passed overhead.

Last night we were at Lodi Point on Seneca Lake. The sky was about as bald as it can be. Just about the time the sun was starting to set a line of thick grey clouds came over the western horizon and totally blotted out the sun. I waited around for a while, hoping that the sky would have some dramatic changes in color or texture. Nope.

To make the most of the slowly moving clouds, and hoping to squeeze a little bit of color out of the swiftly setting sun, I put a 6 stop ND filter on my Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4R... and aimed for that sweet spot of about 30 seconds exposure.

My next goat is to find something interesting for my foreground, to draw the eye while allowing the sky and water to do their thing. That means I will be looking for interesting docks and lake-side attractions like overhanging trees, large rocks, etc. Can't wait for the weather to cooperate!


No comments:

Post a Comment