Friday, April 1, 2016

My Grandfather


Trying to write about my grandfather is difficult. He was one of those larger-than-life characters. He served as a Marine in World War II in the Pacific Theater on an amphibious tank. He spent most of his life in the western states (WY, ND, SD, MT, CO). At one point he owned a business which installed power lines, bringing electricity to very remote areas of the west. His later years were spent living off the grid, outside Cody WY, high above the Shoshone River.

 This is my grandfather and my aunt Melanie. Not sure where though.

 This image is of my uncle Eddie and my grandfather. Heading off to go hiking somewhere.

This image is of my uncle Jack, his wife, my aunt Lou, and my grandfather. These three hiked, fished and camped all over the Yellowstone area wilderness. The stories aunt Lou used to tell about being charged by moose or having their camp raided by bears... incredible! And yes, those staples in the photo are really there... my mom stapled these photos into the album pages.


Both my mother and my aunt Melanie were interested in pottery (it was the 60s after all)... so after looking at a photograph in a magazine, my grandfather built two of them. He even created a way to use a motor from a dryer as a drive motor for the wheel. He had never actually seen a kickwheel up close, but that didn't stop him from making one.

2 comments:

  1. if your grandfather built it, it was made of clear Douglas fir, galvanized carriage bolts, and Varathane varnish. He built everything as if it were a power line in the mountains. You are fortunate to be made out of the same stuff he was made of. I'd love to be able to talk with him about the Donald or the Bern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that carriage bolts and polyurethane were genetically transmitted. I wish you could see the things we built in the studio (back in the day) to hold 3000# of clay. Most overbuilt shelves I have ever seen. But they worked. If the roof ever collapses, that corner of the room will be just fine.

      Delete